[Bioperl-l] codon tables, finding ORFs

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Fri May 21 20:48:20 UTC 2010

Chris Fields wrote:
 > Maybe it shouldn't be all by default, but I have personally worked
with two (bacterial) genes that had alternative start codons (TTG, GTG),
so they should be made available in some way.

 > chris

Oh they're available, CodonTable has a number of tables in it that you
make translate() use optionally, and there are bacterial tables in there
(but they are not well documented).  The default behavior is the 'NCBI
standard' (eukaryotic) table that I linked to in the original post on
this thread.

What I am looking for is a discussion of what the best default behavior
of $seq->translate( -orf => 1 ) with no arguments should be.

But also, there should be better documentation about the codon tables
that are available, I can add that in my topic/longest_orf branch.

Rob