[Bioperl-l] codon tables, finding ORFs

Brian Osborne bosborne11 at verizon.net
Fri May 21 18:45:01 UTC 2010

Rob,

The user will use translate(), which can do something like this:

$prot_obj = $my_seq_object->translate(-orf => 1,
                                      -start => "atg" );

CodonTable does little more than hold the codon/aa data. All the useful work is done by translate(), and there are lots of options. Here is part of the documentation:

 Returns : A Bio::PrimarySeqI implementing object
 Args    : -terminator    - character for terminator        default is *
           -unknown       - character for unknown           default is X
           -frame         - frame                           default is 0
           -codontable_id - codon table id                  default is 1
           -complete      - complete CDS expected           default is 0
           -throw         - throw exception if not complete default is 0
           -orf           - find 1st ORF                    default is 0
           -start         - alternative initiation codon
           -codontable    - Bio::Tools::CodonTable object
		   -offset        - offset for fuzzy locations      default is 0

 Notes   : The -start argument only applies when -orf is set to 1. By default
           all initiation codons found in the given codon table are used
           but when "start" is set to some codon this codon will be used
           exclusively as the initiation codon. Note that the default codon
           table (NCBI "Standard") has 3 initiation codons!

Brian O.