[Bioperl-l] Designing primers from multiple sequence alignment ofamino acid sequences

Kevin Brown Kevin.M.Brown at asu.edu
Wed Jan 27 20:23:57 UTC 2010

Bioperl is just a collection of tools, not a full blown application.
Most of what you want can be done with the objects available from within
the toolkit, but the application (perl script) would still need to be
written to put the objects to use. You could use clustalw from within
perl to align the sequences (Bio::Tools::Run::Alignment::Clustalw), find
the conserved regions (Bio::SimpleAlign), reverse translate them
(Bio::Tools::CodonTable), then come up with an algorithm for primer
analysis and selction (or even use other apps like primer3
(Bio::Tools::Run::Primer3) from within perl).

Kevin Brown
Center for Innovations in Medicine
Biodesign Institute
Arizona State University