[Bioperl-l] Reciprocal best hits using Bioperl?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 10:20:33 UTC 2010

My comment might be that the problem with OrthoMCL is that it is
primarily lower organisms.  The problem with Ensembl (and some other
databases) is that it is primarliy higher organisms (though they do
include Drosophila, C. elegans and Yeast).

The problem arises when one wants to cross those boundaries.  For
example the 5-10 antioxidant proteins, the ~150 DNA repair proteins,
many of the mitochondrial (ETC) proteins, the ribosomal rRNA's &
tRNAs, and the fundamental biochemistry (EC) proteins are homologous
all the way from the most ancient bacteria through H. sapiens.  The
only way to play in the mixed arena of prokaryotes and eukaryotes
involving fundamental vectors in evolution is to either construct ones
own databases (which presumably means getting involved with MySQL, and
probably spending some $$$ on hardware) or to develop some BioPerl
modules that can do the  SpeciesX vs. SpeciesY comparisons on demand
using some part of the cloud.  This problem isn't going to get smaller
its only going to get larger, now that the cost of sequencing
(pseudo-resequencing) a vertebrate genome is starting to come in under
$10,000 and people are starting to seriously talk about 10,000
vertebrate genomes.  10,000 x 10,000 x 20,000 (genes) isn't something
people are going to undertake very soon.

Robert