[Bioperl-l] Emacs bioperl-mode improved release

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Sun Sep 13 03:14:06 UTC 2009

Hi All--

[Future announcements/updates will be made on the wiki-
 http://bioperl.org/wiki/Emacs_bioperl-mode --
 put it on your watchlist...see the page for features and install
 info ]

Bioperl-mode (tar r16070) is improved:
- fancy syntax and header highlighting for pod views
- jump to .pm source from pod view (just press 'f')
- full support for multiple paths
  (e.g. "/usr/local/src/bioperl-live:/usr/local/src/bioperl-run"):
  the completion flattens the paths; if you wind up having to
  make a choice (between, e.g., site-perl/5.10/Bio/Seq.pm
  and mytweaks/Bio/Seq.pm), completion will let you choose
  the path at the prompt.
- BPMODE_PATH convenience environment
  variable is read for the search paths
- other stuff I can't remember
- there is a unit test suite under test.el of Wang Liang
  in the dev path

To do this stuff, I've backed off Emacs 21 compatibility;
it'll bork (nicely) if you have 21. If there are "enough" complaints,
I will relent, but 22 is cool for people like me with the
elisp disease.

Other technical issues remain; let me know and
I'll do my best. My goal is to make this something
you can't live without. (And if you're not using
Emacs, are you really living?)

 M-x thanks

Mark