[Bioperl-l] BioPerl "guts" question regarding forked processes

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 02:06:40 UTC 2009

I'm currently running near my process limit and running sequence fetches
from swissprot (I've also had this happen with getting gi's from NCBI) and
am running out of processes about halfway through the set I'm trying to
fetch [1].

Now, is there someplace in the bioperl documentation that documents where
one is supposed to wait() for defunct processes after each sequence fetch.
 I'm encountering the problem both when the sequence fetches succeed as well
as when they fail.

Thanks in advance.
Robert

1. This is due to a bug in chromium's use of flash that involves it leaving
many defunct processes that are uncollected and therefore counting towards
ones "process limit".