[Bioperl-l] [Fwd: Re: A question about iBio::Index: and itscorrect use]

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Tue Nov 10 18:47:02 UTC 2009

Page 44 has the custom ID info or look at documentation for
Bio::DB::Fasta - there is a similar syntax for Bio::Index::Fasta if
you read the perldoc for the module.

  http://jason.open-bio.org/Bioperl_Tutorials/ProgrammingBiology2008/ProgBiology_BioPerl_I.pdf

Don't re-opening SeqIO each time just do it once at the beginning
outside of the loop and then call write_seq within the loop.

This is one nuance of doing OO programming vs procedural is that there
is some outside state information that can persist in an object, but
conceptually, you want to open a filehandle once and just keep writing
to it.

-jason
On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:43 AM, jluis.lavin at unavarra.es wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I tried what Mark told me modifying the code line he told me but
> there´s
> still a problem that I believe must be due to the sequences name.
> My secuences header on the Fasta file have this format:
>
>> PleosPC9_1_103820|fgenesh1_pg.3_#_1
>
> Th part on the right of the pipe changes depending on the program
> used to
> create the gene model, for example:
>
>> PleosPC9_1_103820|fgenesh1_pg.3_#_1
>> PleosPC9_1_123413|genemark.2731_g
>> PleosPC9_1_52065|e_gw1.3.64.1
>
> So I guess I need to parse my ids somehow for thr program to detect
> only
> the first part of the fasta header (the "protein name") and not to get
> messed with the other side of the pipe...
>
> This is the corrected code I wrote following Mark´s indications, but I
> still don´t have any idea about the parsing issue...
>
> #!/c:/Perl -w
> use Bio::Index::Fasta;
> use strict;
> #PC9.fasta is my genomic file
> my $Index_File_Name ="PC9.fasta";
> my $inx = Bio::Index::Fasta->new('PC9.fasta.idx');
> #LCS.txt is my sequences list
> @ARGV = <LCS.txt>;
> foreach  my $id (@ARGV) {
> if ($id eq ''){
> die ("empty list")
> }
> else {
> my $seqobj = $inx->fetch($id);
> my $out = new Bio::SeqIO (-file => ">>index_extracted.fasta",
> -format => 'fasta');
> $out->write_seq($seqobj);
> }
> }
> exit;
> }
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> PD. May it be a faster way of extracting those sequences using plain
> PERL?
>

> El Jue, 5 de Noviembre de 2009, 17:39, Mark A. Jensen escribió:
>> Yes, these are files created by the SDBM, Perl's internal db
>> manager. You
>> should
>> be able to
>> open the index by simply
>> $inx = Bio::Index::Fasta->new('PC9.fasta.idx');
>> and the dbm will know what to do--
>> cheers MAJ

>>> Navarra