[Bioperl-l] problem to fit genomic coordinates

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Thu Mar 26 19:17:22 UTC 2009

Laurent,

I know that enough has been said on this issue, but I want
to address not only you but all the student lurkers on the
list. bioperl-l is mainly a place for professional questions
and answers, but there is a very strong educational
component here as well. That comes directly from the
attitude of the BioPerl leadership, who are mainly academic
in origin, who love to program and to teach programming. The
ethic "we don't do homework for you" is really part of that
educational mission that is subconsciously built in to
Bioperl.

It is a really, really serious mistake to treat global
experts in a field you're interested in entering as if they
owed you something. On the contrary, every help response to
this list is time, worth hundreds of euros an hour, given
away for free. The motivations for giving it vary, but the
fact that it deserves gratitude and attentiveness does
not. You will be very hard-pressed to find a listserv as
helpful as this, not to mention as forgiving. Other places
would have banned you instantly; instead, at the end of your
tirade you received several patient and helpful responses.

I have thought for a long time (and I've been in the biz a
long time) that students need to attempt to forget that they
are students, and start imagining themselves as scientists
right now where they are. Leave behind the mindset that
you're just trying to make it through another course, and
adopt the mindset that you are preparing yourself to pursue
something you love to do. Until this happens, you are not a
professional, you don't think like professional, and you're
liable to make serious mistakes. Scientists are very social,
and have very long memories. Those two qualities make them
good scientists. However, those qualities can also make it
very difficult to reinvent yourself in their minds, if you
screw up. You have to work very, very hard to overcome it.

So, in the future, think of yourself as a scientist, in a
community of scientists, each of whom could be helpful and
useful to you. They will then think of you that way too, and
it will help you do what you want to do. Good luck-

Mark