[Bioperl-l] problem to fit genomic coordinates

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Mar 26 16:25:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Laurent MANCHON
<lmanchon at univ-montp2.fr>wrote:

> okay, you are right,
> but i think in my opinion that my question is a good question about parsing
> enormous
> range of intervals.
> The problem is not perl, bioperl, or other language, it's just an
> algorithmic question.
> I'm not a professionnal in Bioperl and i don't know what is possible to do
> with all the Bioperl modules.
> So if you think it's possible to resolve my question with Bioperl maybe you
> are right, but in my position i stay in the same point.
> If you want i send you the two files needed in my question. And if you are
> agree try to use Bioperl to resolve it. Maybe it's not possible because
> files are big, i don't know.

To answer the question a bit more directly, you might consider using an
R-tree indexing scheme or something akin to the binning scheme that UCSC
uses for range queries.  Algorithms like those allow very fast range
operations.  If you want a sense of how fast, try using the galaxy server at
Penn State.

Sean