[Bioperl-l] script to calculate percentage identity for BLAT psl

gopu_36 gopu_36 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 10:08:42 UTC 2009

Hi Jason,

I have a doubt now. I started blat with psl output as well as with blast
output format. But when I try to compare the results, the total number of
results vary. For blast output when I grep for Identities, it is more than
the psl results. But why is it happening? I thought only the ouput format is
going to be in BLAST like but why there is change the number of results? Am
I missing something. Basically, I want to get some fields from psl output
and trying to get the identity score from blast output result file. Is it
not possible?

or can I use as below:

percent_id = 100x($matches + $rep_matches)/( $matches + $mismatches +
$rep_matches ) or
percentage identity =  ( matches not in repeats + matches in repeats ) /
query length

Please let me know as I am keen in parsing psl as I don't have bioperl to
start parsing blast output. Thanks.