[Bioperl-l] bioperl reorganization

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 24 20:57:03 UTC 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2009, at 5:19 AM, Bernd Web wrote:
>
>> Actually, I and many student I worked with really likes the
>> monolithic
>> form of BioPerl. No fuss in choosing what you want and finding out
>> later you need more.
>

> I have to agree with this. This is what have done for the courses
> that we run; anything else I think would be rather painful and not
> worth the time.
>
> Of course that doesn't mean that there can't be simply a - physical
> or virtual - bundle that will download all the sub-packages and
> install them. Just realize that there is quite a few out there too
> who simply need a painless way to install "everything, no questions
> asked".
>
> 	-hilmar
> --

That's in the plan, at least the virtual bundling part.  We would
either reutilize Bundle::BioPerl for this purpose, or have a
Task::BioPerl that would install the requested modules using a
Module::Install (it comes with the bundler).

I'm not sure about physically bundling it. Not sure how to go about
setting that up beyond faking a local installation, zipping it up, and
shipping it (and that would be w/o tests, Build.PL, etc).