[Bioperl-l] Finding all bioactive substances through EUtils or PUG_SOAP

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 15 18:11:47 UTC 2009

Tomas B.,

Just so you know, this isn't really a bioperl-specific question,
though you may be able to use bioperl tools to do what you want.  I'll
run with the latter assumption.

I'm not too familiar with pubchem and related, but using einfo you can
get relevant information on the databases.  The available databases are:

pcassay
pccompound
pcsubstance

Lots of filters available, summarized here:

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/help.html#PubChem_index

My guess is you would have to query the database pcassay with esearch
and the appropriate filter to find the IDs active for a particular
assay, then use elink from pcassay to either pccompound or pcsubstance
to get what you want.

Using Bio::DB::EUtilities (below) this worked to get the compound IDs,
you could probably get more information using esummary (not sure if
you can retrieve all info on them).

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use warnings;
use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

my $term = '"Luciferase Profiling Assay"';

my $factory = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(-eutil   => 'esearch',
                                        -db      => 'pcassay',
                                        -term    => $term,
                                        -verbose => 1,
                                        -retmax  => 100);

my @ids = $factory->get_ids;

# note the linkname, can use same for pcsubstance
$factory->reset_parameters(-eutil       => 'elink',
                            -db          => 'pccompound',
                            -dbfrom      => 'pcassay',
                            -linkname    => 'pcassay_pccompound_active',
                            -id          => \@ids);

$factory->print_all;