[Bioperl-l] [Biopython] Comparison between bioperl and biopython?

Jonathan Hilmer jkhilmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 19:55:18 UTC 2009

Personally, I think that the differences between Python and Perl
(although substantial) are not large enough to make the language
itself the deciding factor.

Instead, consider the larger community of software.  I haven't yet
found a situation in which Python cannot be applied: it can be used
with R (statistics); lower-level code C or fortran; visualization
software such as PyMol, Chimera, Blender, VTK; plotting with
matplotlib; and scipy/numpy or sage, which provide innumerable
benefits for computation, data-processing, etc.

Although I don't claim to have a great deal of experience with Perl, I
haven't seen the same integration with that language: I'm assuming it
can be used with R and VTK (not sure about C or fortran?).  For this
reason, unless your work is highly targeted and you have no use
programming language integration with other software, I would
recommend Python.

For perl experts, I would truly appreciate any corrections you could
offer to these observations of mine, since I wouldn't mind using perl
if it offers benefits either in general or for specific applications.

Jonathan