[Bioperl-l] Fwd: problem with bioperl (where's the Mus?)

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Aug 22 23:21:48 UTC 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 6:44 PM, Anand C. Patel wrote:

> [...]
> I think I know what's broken.  Using load_seqdatabases.pl, I'd put a
> set of sequences from genbank into a biosql db in mysql.
>
> I'd also loaded the ncbi taxonomy using the load_ncbi_taxonomy.pl
> script from biosql.

Did you load the NCBI taxonomy first, or afterwards?

> When I searched for house (as in house mouse), I found that the name
> of the type of taxon class was "genbank common name".
>
> When I searched for musculus, it does appear as a type of
> "scientific name".

It is the 'scientific name' class names that Bioperl-db will onto the
lineage array.

> [...]
> I'm not just getting warnings.  I'm getting errors.  Tons of them.
> It's a wonder it's working at all.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but what you pasted into your
email were neither errors nor warnings but a debugging log (and what
it prints looks like it's working fine). You triggered that by setting
-verbose to a value greater than 0. If you don't want debugging
output, then you can just leave off that argument (no debugging output
is the default).

> I started with the getentry.cgi script in the cgi-bin folder, and
> stripped most of it away.

I see - which reminds me that I need to look at that script; I'm
afraid it hasn't been updated for a long time (that doesn't mean
though that it can't work - the core API has been stable for years).

> Code:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> [...]
> if( $@ || !defined $seq) {
>     print "Got fetch exception of...\n<pre>$@\n</pre>";
>     exit(0);
> }

Wouldn't you want to put that right after the eval() clause?

	-hilmar