[Bioperl-l] Problems with Bioperl-ext package on WinVista?

Yee Man Chan ymc at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 04:15:41 UTC 2009

Hi all

Based on my understanding of the warning messages, the problem seems to come from the "typemap" file when I cast the return from SvIV from an integer to a pointer. I suppose this might cause problems in 64-bit machines.

But when I look at perlguts and perlxs, it does seem to me that the way I did in typemap is the suggested way to do it because the IV type is "guaranteed to be big enough to hold a pointer". Nevertheless, I modified my typemap file to look exactly like what's in perlxs. (See PS)

Does anyone know how to deal with this problem? Or can anyone of you give me access to a 64-bit machine to sort this out?

Thank you!
Yee Man

PS This is a typemap file using exactly the same lines suggested by perlxs. It works in my 32-bit machine. Can someone try it on a 64-bit machine? Thanks
TYPEMAP
HMM *    T_HMM

INPUT
T_HMM
        if (sv_isobject($arg) && (SvTYPE(SvRV($arg)) == SVt_PVMG))
           $var = ($type)SvIV((SV*)SvRV( $arg ));
        else{
           warn( \"${Package}::$func_name() -- $var is not a blessed SV referenc
e\" );
           XSRETURN_UNDEF;
        }

OUTPUT
T_HMM
        sv_setref_pv($arg, "Bio::Ext::HMM::HMM", (void*) $var);