[Bioperl-l] Problems with Bioperl-ext package on WinVista?

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 13 21:37:21 UTC 2009

Jonny Dalzell wrote:
> Is it ridiculous of me to expect ubuntu to take care of this for me?  How do
> I go about compiling the HMM?
Yes.  This is a very specialized thing that you're doing, and Ubuntu
does not have the resources to package every single thing.

Unfortunately, it looks like bioperl-ext package is not installable
under Ubuntu 9.04 anyway, which is what I'm running.  For others on this
list, if somebody is interested in doing maintaining it, I'd be happy to
help out by testing on Debian-based Linux platforms.  We need to clarify
this package's maintenance status: if there is nobody interested in
maintaining it, I would recommend that bioperl-ext be removed from
distribution.  It's not in anybody's interest to have unmaintained
software out there causing confusion.

So Jonny, in short, I would say "do not use bioperl-ext".

Step back.  What are you trying to accomplish?  Chris already
recommended some alternative methods in his email of 8/11 on this
subject.  Perhaps we can guide you to some software that is actively
maintained and will meet your needs.

Rob

--
Robert Buels
Bioinformatics Analyst, Sol Genomics Network
rmb32 at cornell.edu
http://www.sgn.cornell.edu