[Bioperl-l] Re trieving all genes of a species from DBBJ/GENBANK using Perl SOAP

bar tomas bartomas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:45:46 UTC 2008

Hi

Thank you very much for your replies, and sorry that my post was misplaced
in this forum.

I'm pretty clueless on this subject. My difficulty is that my aim is to
retrieve all gene names of a given species and that the when performing a
query on a species name, I get a list of accession numbers. Can a record
identified by an accession number span several genes? Can a record
identified by an accession number refer to a sequence that is not a gene?

My choice of using DDBJ is pretty uninformed too. I had understood that the
information contained in DDBJ includes Genbank and I was interested in the
DDBJ facility of performing XPath queries on GenBank entries. But do you
recommend using NCBI Entrez instead?

Thank you very much and sorry about my clueless questions.

tomas