[Bioperl-l] Are all recommended modules equally important ?

Charles Plessy charles-listes+bioperl at plessy.org
Wed Mar 19 10:01:59 UTC 2008

Le Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 09:29:10AM +0000, Sendu Bala a écrit :

> I looked at the most used external modules. Used 6 times or more:
>
>   Data::Dumper => used 55 times
>   Carp => used 51 times
>   IO::String => used 25 times
>   Symbol => used 19 times
>   File::Spec => used 17 times
>   HTTP::Request::Common => used 17 times
>   POSIX => used 12 times
>   DB_File => used 11 times
>   Fcntl => used 11 times
>   IO::File => used 11 times
>   Exporter => used 10 times
>   File::Temp => used 9 times
>   Dumpvalue => used 8 times
>   LWP::UserAgent => used 8 times
>   Scalar::Util => used 8 times
>   URI::Escape => used 8 times
>   File::Basename => used 6 times
>   File::Path => used 6 times
>   XML::Writer => used 6 times

Dear Sendu,

thanks a lot for this analysis ! We will downgrade all modules except
those you listed to the priority 'Suggested'. In terms of Debian package,
it means keeping only libio-string-perl, libwww-perl, liburi-perl and
libxml-writer-perl in our 'Recommends' field, as the others are provided
by our perl package itself.

Thanks a lot for the advice,

--
Charles Plessy