[Bioperl-l] BioPerl Module to Parse Transfac Flat File Database

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers-institute.org
Thu Mar 6 16:58:57 UTC 2008

we use TFBS all the time against data coming from a recent local install of TRANSFAC(r) Professional 11.1 (2007-03-31)

the most recent is 11.4 (2007-12-14)

TFBS::* has the nice advantage that you can interoperate Transfac pwms with other (say, Jaspar) matrices and/or simple consesus sequence patterns; and it COULD be fairly easily extended to allow interoperation with other sources, say cisRED.  "One interface to rule them all" - bwa ha ha.

However, if you DO have locally installed Transfac (Pro) ($$), and want to use just it, then you should know that you can also call their `match` routines from the unix command line (though this is not documented to my knowledge).  I can supply my cheat sheet or otherwise advise if desired.  Also, if you go this way, I've written the requisite TFMatchOut2GFF to convert TRANSFAC match's output to GFF, if it suits your purpose, which I could release if asked.

If you want to use TFBS::**, I have written a command-line wrapper for the TFBS perl modules that might give you a leg up if you decide to use TFBS::**.  I could release them too, if useful.

But I agree, if I recall, TFBS::* were dropped from ongoing active development due to issues with data access policys.  And, I think that they no longer with with remotely hosted Transfac.  They did a few years ago. I think I tested a while ago and found that they do not.

Malcolm Cook
Stowers Institute for Medical Research - Kansas City, Missouri