[Bioperl-l] Priorities for a bioperl-1.6 release

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 15 21:43:42 UTC 2008

On Feb 15, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Lincoln Stein wrote:

>> * perl 5.10 compliance (appears to mostly work now)
>> * GFF/GFF3 compliance
>

> I've been doing a lot of work on this recently. I think it's much
> improved.
> No problems with 5.10 for the modules that I use frequently.
>
> Lincoln

I think bioperl works now for perl 5.10.  The only significant issue
we ran into were problems with Bio::SeqIO::entrezgene.  The parser
looped and created a pseudohash under some conditions, which threw all
sorts of errors with 5.8.  Stefan and I fixed that one in Subversion.

There were some odd Data::Dumper-related messages popping up with
'perl Build.PL' using perl 5.10; not sure what's going on there, but
it appears harmless:

Encountered CODE ref, using dummy placeholder at /opt/perl/lib/5.10.0/
darwin-2level/Data/Dumper.pm line 190.