[Bioperl-l] SeqHound

Susan J. Miller sjmiller at email.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 6 20:57:35 UTC 2008

Barry Moore wrote:
> Susan,
>
> I'm joining this discussion late so my apologies if I'm missing the
> original point.  If you're trying to routinely download thousands of
> sequences from GenBank or SeqHound you probably want to be using ftp to
> download the flat files and query/parse locally.  If you're trying to
> stay on top of the latest Drosophila ESTs, then how about setting up a
> nightly cron job to download the incremental updates from NCBIs ftp
> (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genbank/daily-nc) and parse that for Drosophila
> EST sequences.  The EST division is huge, but I would think nightly
> incrementals should be manageable.

Hi Barry,

I'll try your suggestion.  I guess my interpretation of the
documentation for SeqHound was erroneous.  (Who knows what 'large
numbers of sequences' means?)  I tried using SeqHound's get_Stream_by_id
method to fetch 10000 sequences, 500 at a time, and got a timeout error.

--
Regards,
-susan

Susan J. Miller