[Bioperl-l] Priorities for a bioperl-1.6 release

Brian Osborne bosborne11 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 13 18:32:46 UTC 2008

Chris,

You should be careful about the names of these packages. For example,
Bio::Biblio and Bio::Restriction are not "in development" as the term
bioperl-dev implies. They're tried and true. And there may be sets of
modules that are experimental in "bioperl-dev", of course. Is it
possible to have 2 packages, "dev" and "tools"? Or something along
those lines?

Calling things by the wrong names leads to confusion, witness the
Bioperl newcomers who would install an antiquated version 1.4 because
it was labelled 'stable'.

BIO