[Bioperl-l] Finding seqs of given domain architecture

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 16 17:52:59 UTC 2008

You can try CDART:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Structure/lexington/lexington.cgi?cmd=rps

There are probably other tools out there as well.

If you want to roll your own, you can use bioperl wrappers for all of
these (Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast is in bioperl-live,
Bio::Tools::Run::Hmmer in bioperl-run), tweaking the parameters as you
see fit, and either parse while running them or store the file for
parsing later using Bio::SearchIO.  Personally, I wouldn't go with (2)
unless you are absolutely sure the domains are found only once per
sequence, are spatially conserved, and don't overlap.  For instance,
with many proteins you could have a domain structure like dom1-dom2,
dom2-dom1, dom1-dom1-dom2, etc.

If you just want accessions from Pfam's Stockholm format (which are
UniProt, I believe) you can get at accessions using
Bio::AlignIO::stockholm (using perl 5.10):

use Bio::AlignIO;
use feature 'say';

my $file = shift || die "Must pass file as argument\n";

my $in = Bio::AlignIO->new(-format => 'stockholm',
                            -file => $file);

while (my $aln = $in->next_aln) {
     my @accs;
     for my $seq ($aln->each_seq) {