[Bioperl-l] personal vs list email

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Apr 12 18:10:44 UTC 2008

I'm not sure why but I have received several Bioperl or BioSQL-
related email inquiries directed to me *personally* over the past few
weeks.

I have been responding as I get to them, but I feel that I am doing
both the senders and this community a poor service, because sometimes
someone else on the list could have responded much faster, and when I
respond, others on the list who happen to be interested in the same
question don't get to see the answer.

So from now on as a policy I will redirect *every* email sent to me
personally and that asks a question related to one of the projects to
the respective mailing list. If you don't want this, please
conspicuously say so at the top of your email, and in that case if
you do ask a project-related question be prepared to wait and to
possibly needing to follow up.

As an aside, it's a pretty safe assumption to make that all other
core developers, and quite possibly *all* developers are following a
similar policy, whether expressly or not.

Isn't this somewhere in the FAQ too?

	-hilmar