[Bioperl-l] Error with "parse_entrez_gene_example.pl Sus_scrofa.ags"

zoujing 1zoujing at 163.com
Thu Apr 10 07:10:26 UTC 2008

Seached  the web and found the answer now, quote the answer as following:
   The error was thrown by my Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene module because it
expects a text file, while you fed it with a binary file.  To use
gzipped ASN binary file from NCBI, download the NCBI gene2xml
(ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/converters/by_program/gene2xml),
then use this syntax to run my parser on the binary files:

my $parser = Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene->new('file' => "gene2xml -i
Homo_sapiens.ags.gz -c -x -b | "); # Homo_sapiens.ags.gz is the gzipped
binary file directly downloaded from NCBI

Same syntax should be used when you're using SeqIO (thus SeqIO::entrezgene).
Mingyi

   But there is still one thing, I want to parse "gene_info.gz" in Gene of
NCBI. ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/DATA/gene_info.gz.
   It doesn't work.Is that means "gene_info.gz"( tab-delimited,one line per
GeneID, Column header line is the first line in the file) is not the right
format for Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene?