[Bioperl-l] GenBank entries creation dates

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 7 17:48:45 UTC 2008

Note in the example I gave that, during the revision history, the
DBSOURCE changed at the point of the creation date (the original nuc.
record was a M. tuberculosis contig sequence, which later changed to
an updated full M. tuberculosis genome record at the time of the
'create date').

Couldn't find anything specific in the GenBank docs on this, but it
appears (at least for a protein record) the creation date reflects the
date in which the sequence was either originally deposited or
originally derived from the nucleotide source record present in the
record.  In other words, it may not reflect the original date of
deposition (which could have come from a different record, as in this
case).

chris