[Bioperl-l] Not catching an error in EUtilities

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 29 15:42:43 UTC 2007

On Oct 28, 2007, at 11:03 PM, Warren Gallin wrote:

> I've been having an intermittent problem, when the NCBI service that
> is accessed by EUtilities (in particular efetch) is not available.
>
> I have the calls enclosed in eval statements, but an exception is not
> thrown.  Instead I find that the  file that should contain the
> results of the efetch only has the following text:
>
> Error: The resource is temporarily unavailable
>
> So it appears that this is not generating an exception (maybe that is
> not desireable in general, but it would be useful in my case).
>
> The result is that my script tries to access the file using
> Bio::Seq::IO, and the expected text is not there.
>
> The relevant snippet of code and the output are copied below.
>
> The only way that I can think of to catch this outcome is to open the
> file and check the firt three lines for this text, and then go back
> and redo the efetch if this particular text is found.
>
> Is this behaviour considered a bug, or just an outcome that needs to
> be checked for when code is written using efetch?
> If so, is there a standard way of checking for this?

I may have already mentioned this (it is mentioned in the POD), but
it's worth repeating: if you running a script to post more than 100
requests you should be running it btwn 9pm and 5am ET per NCBI's rules:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html

I have built in a way to pass in an LWP::UserAgent-related callback
to get_Response() using the -cb parameter, primarily to allow piping
data to a child process for instance.  This could also be used for
checking the initial data retrieved and throwing if an error is
returned.  I haven't extensively tested this yet; I can try running a
stress test to see if I can trigger an efetch error and catch it in
the callback.  If I can get something working I'll post it later
today and may incorporate it into EUtilities in CVS.

A bit of background: efetch is the only eutil that doesn't have a
specific parser (Bio::Tools::EUtilities) attached to it, primarily b/
c the data retrieved is very diverse (seq/pubmed/snp/etc data in XML,
asn.1, text, HTML).  All other eutils besides efetch generate error
codes via the HTTP::Response header (the norm) or in the XML
returned; both of the previous types are errors that EUtilities
catches and throws, so an eval{} works.  efetch errors seen to be
atypical and may be related to the server load or specific database
availability.

chris