[Bioperl-l] get regions

Kevin Brown Kevin.M.Brown at asu.edu
Mon May 14 19:15:09 UTC 2007

I do this in perl with the pos() function.  This requires the use of the
match operator (m) like

if ($gene =~ m/$pattern/gi)
{
	$start = pos($gene) - length($pattern) + 1;
}

pos() returns the location of the pointer where the regex left off after
finding a match.  I remove the length of my pattern (which is just a
string with a few placeholder (.) wildcards, so I know how long the
match will always be).