[Bioperl-l] Splitting Bioperl and Test related Suggestions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 13:07:27 UTC 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Nathan S. Haigh wrote:

> Chris Fields wrote:
>> I think what's partially responsible for slowing down releases is the
>> expectation that each dev release is supposed to have all bugs fixed,
>> work for every OS, etc.  In other words, act like a stable release.

It doesn't. A stable release has a stable API that will be supported
until the next stable release through point releases.

>> A developer release by nature is living on the edge, so why not have
>> regular dev releases?

There's no problem with regular dev releases, but tests will need to
pass. There was never a stipulation that all bugs need to have been
fixed. But all tests need to pass, so in an ideal world (in which
everything is being tested) all tests passing would imply all (known)
bugs fixed. Obviously, we don't live in an ideal world ...

If not everything passes then what is the big difference to a code
snapshot? If using cvs (or svn) is too difficult for most people, we
can consider creating a mechanism that puts up nightly snapshots for
download.

> -- snip --
>
> I agree, although would the dev releases still need to pass all the
> tests? I'm thinking of people installing via CPAN.

For example, that's another point.

	-hilmar