[Bioperl-l] Warnings

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Jul 5 13:04:50 UTC 2007

Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
> My guess is that using 'print STDERR' avoids showing sometimes annoying
>    errordescription  at programname line  NN
> syntax being used.

Afaik,

CORE::warn "anything\n";

never includes the line number: messages with a new line always disable
that feature. Bio::Root::RootI::warn /always/ puts new lines into the
message, so they /never/ have the line number.

> On the other hand, the main reason we need to set verbosity to 1 in BioPerl
> objects is to find where warnings are coming from. Maybe extra text in
> warnings leads to easier debugging.
>
> I favour changing it.

So its my understanding there will be absolutely no difference in
behaviour following this change (except that warning can be caught by
Test::Warn). I just wanted to confirm my understanding.