[Bioperl-l] Splitting Bioperl

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 4 20:54:14 UTC 2007

I think what's partially responsible for slowing down releases is the
expectation that each dev release is supposed to have all bugs fixed,
work for every OS, etc.  In other words, act like a stable release.

A developer release by nature is living on the edge, so why not have
regular dev releases?  We keep telling users to update to using
bioperl-live whenever something breaks, anyway.  We could decide to
split stuff off along the way into more 'stable' sections if there
were more demand for it, and have the more API-volatile code
(DB::SeqFeature, EUtilities, GFF3, Chado-related, etc.) retain the
'dev' tag until we feel it's ready for prime time.

chris