[Bioperl-l] [StandAloneBLAST] Use more than one CPU + avoid BLAST reload

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Tue Dec 4 18:51:34 UTC 2007

You can pass in an array reference of sequences instead of a single sequence
object and the module will build a multi-FASTA database.  You can also pass
in a filename instead of a Sequence object and the file can be an already
built multi-FASTA database.  This is described in the documentation:

http://search.cpan.org/~birney/bioperl-1.4/Bio/Tools/Run/StandAloneBlast.pm#blastall

You can also just run BLAST without StandAloneBlast part as I do an just
build your multifile ahead of time with SeqIO and do
# wublast
my $cmd = "blastp -i MULTIFASTA -d DATABASE --cpus 2 |";
# or NCBI blast
# my $cmd = "blastall -a 2 -i MULTIFASTA -p blastp -d DATABASE |";
my $fh;

open($fh, $cmd)
my $searchio = Bio::SearchIO->new(-format => 'blast', -fh => $fh);

The advantage of StandAloneBlast in theory is it takes care of the temporary
file creation (sequncefiles) and cleanup.  Personally I find I want easier
access to my programs that are simple cmdline like this.  You can do similar
things withe SSEARCH or FASTA searching too.

-jason