[Bioperl-l] [StandAloneBLAST] Use more than one CPU + avoid BLAST reload

Sven Boekhoff bioperl at boekhoff.info
Mon Dec 3 19:14:24 UTC 2007

HI!
I just started working with Perl and BioPerl. I'm quite impressed what
can be easily done with this module. Today I found that my second CPU
ist not used, but the first one run's at 100%. I tried to include the
"-a"-parameter, but I was not successful:

my @params = (
	-database => 'my_db',
	-a => '2',
	-outfile => 'blast1.out'
);

How do I have to use it?

Second question: In my perlscript I start BLAST-searches in a loop.
Everytime BLAST has finished its search, the memory is cleared and BLAST
is started again. I think most of the time is used to reload the
database. Is it somehow possible to keep the database loaded (e.g. by
starting a second search) or is BLAST reloaded anyway?

Thanks for your help!

Sven

www.boekhoff.info