[Bioperl-l] Please do not commit without testing

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 25 00:13:44 UTC 2006

On Nov 24, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Hilmar Lapp wrote:

>>> Given that Makefile.PL is just a stub that prints a message about
>>> Build.PL, I can just extend the message to include more tips?
>>
>> You could but that wouldn't substitute. Typing ./Build instead of
>> make
>> is not too hard of a change to make; however, you don't want me to go
>> back and run perl Makefile.PL to get a quick refresher every time
>> I want
>> to use a more advanced feature of the generated Build file, do you?
>
> If you can remember at least that it is ./Build you need to do
> something
> with, it has lovely in-built help. It's entirely standard stuff so
> nothing to learn - just remember its there!
>
>> ./Build -h
> No action '-h' defined, try running the 'help' action.
>
> <oops!>
>
> ./Build help
>
> <read...>
>
> ./Build help test
>
> <great!>

Hilmar's suggestion of collecting these snippets of Build-related
commands in a single place seems like a good start, since it doesn't
really pertain to installation but is of use for developers and
future release pumpkins.  As for the help example above, as helpful
as it is, I don't think most would know it was even there unless it
was pointed out.

A few blurbs in the FAQ, maybe in the 'BioPerl in General' or a new
developer section, might also help.  'How do I run tests using
Module::Build?' or 'Where can I find out more about Module::Build?',
for instance.  It's also much easier (at least to me) to point out to
new users or developers that any relevant information is found in
'document x' vs. 'this post on the mail list, found in the mail
archives at this link, just follow the thread...'.

chris (still recovering after being dragged out on Black Friday).

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry