[Bioperl-l] "progress": useful changes vs. "shiny new thingie"

Stefan Kirov stefan.kirov at bms.com
Thu Nov 16 00:34:02 UTC 2006

Maybe I will just reiterate myself. I think the idea is good, but timing
is bad.
Sendu, from purely socialogical point of view Makefile.PL should be
there. I bet that significant percent of the users would do cvs
checkout, type perl Makefile.PL and start cursing. Perhaps you would not
do this, but many of us do not read most of the docs, unless nothing
else works. As a result you would have confusion and frustration.
Many people would google 'bioperl install' and come up with old docs and
wonder why it does not work.
In a perfect world it would work.
Just my thoughts.
Stefan