[Bioperl-l] new methods -- wiki or bugzilla?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:10:27 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> Should the new methods/features be declared as ENH bugs in
> bugzilla or using the wiki?
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Albert.

Historically we have used Bugzilla so we can keep track of them (the
enhancement tag is also available there for that reason).

You could use the wiki, but I personally think the wiki better serves as
primarily a documentation site, both for current code and for the direction
we plan on taking Bioperl.  We could add a code requests page, though.  We
already have a Projects Priority page that details what we think are the top
issues with Bioperl that need to be addressed; there have been a number of
things added to that page that should be separated out into a code request
page.

However, I don't know how much will be implemented unless someone interested
takes it up.  Frankly, there are quite a number of requests in bugzilla that
haven't been added b/c of lack of interest/time by the other developers.
Either that, or we have a lack of knowledge about a certain format or
program, as I had with the XMFA and ARP AlignIO parsers (see the POD for my
comments; the parsing is pretty minimal).

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign