[Bioperl-l] Base symbols recognized by Bio::Restriction::Enzyme and Bio::Tools::IUPAC

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 13 00:15:37 UTC 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Conrad Halling wrote:

> A followup:
>
> Bio::Tools::IUPAC::iupac_iub() also returns 'U' as a valid base. My
> idea
> of getting an authoritative set of base symbols from Bio::Tools::IUPAC
> does not work well.
>
> I will leave the valid bases in Bio::Restriction::Enzyme set to
> what is
> already used in the module ('ABCDGHKMNRSTVWY').
>
> -- Conrad

Conrad,

You could grab a hash of DNA/RNA codes from Bio::Tools::IUPAC using
iupac_iub(), then modify that for internal use in Bio::Restriction
modules by adding/deleting what you want.  Or add a method to
Bio::Tools::IUPAC that adds/deletes key-value pairs in the object to
your specifications.

If there are non-IUPAC symbols present in the module we should
consider the reasons why they are there.  Were they added as a quick
fix, or for other reasons?  Strictly speaking, I would say a module
named Bio::Tools::IUPAC should not contain non-IUPAC symbols, and
modifications should be made on a case-by-case basis (in objects),
vs. universally (in classes).  You could always remove any non-
standard symbols and see what breaks.

By the way, I think I can speak for many here by saying that we are
happy you will take up the Bio::Restriction classes.  They definitely
need some work!

Chris