[Bioperl-l] primer parameters using primer3

chen li chen_li3 at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 13:21:54 UTC 2006

I think Dr. Chaudhuri is correct.

I add the follwoing line codes to my script(actually
copy from the document)

$primer3->add_targets(
PRIMER_PRODUCT_SIZE_RANGE=>'490-510');

$primer3->add_targets('PRIMER_MIN_TM'=>60,
'PRIMER_MAX_TM'=>64);

to design the primers with product size from 490-510
bp and primer annealing Tm from 60 to 64C .

Here is part of the output in the file called
temp.out:

.......... original sequence.....
GTGGGCTGGTGTTGCTTGGAAAATTTCAAAATCCCAAAGTTTCAGGCTTCCCAAAGTTGGCTTGGAAAAATGTGATAGTCTCACCTGAGTCTAGACATGT

PRIMER_PRODUCT_SIZE_RANGE=490-510
PRIMER_MIN_TM=60
PRIMER_MAX_TM=64
PRIMER_PAIR_PENALTY=0.1544
PRIMER_LEFT_PENALTY=0.081468
PRIMER_RIGHT_PENALTY=0.072951
PRIMER_LEFT_SEQUENCE=CCAAAGTTGGCTTGGAAAAA
PRIMER_PRODUCT_SIZE=501

This is what I want. If you don't set the special
parameters such annealing Tm program will use the
defualt ones. If you set your own parameters they will
show up after the sequence (see this output example).

If one needs to set more parameters and wants to know
what parameters are available just browse the code for
BEGIN section.

Now I have another question: the program always prints
out the original sequence at the beginning is it
possible not to do that?

Thanks all for join this topic,

Li

http://bioperl.org/wiki/Module:Bio::Tools::Run::Primer3