[Bioperl-l] EMBL/genbank organism parsing

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Mar 9 18:54:36 UTC 2006

Yeah the species parsing has bothered us for a long time.

My thoughts on this - I don't think tweaking individual parsers until
they behave as desired on a then-current set examples is going to put
an end to this. Either species parsing will have to be moved into its
own set of 'drivers' with a fronting factory, like Bio::SpeciesIO or
Bio::TaxonIO, or alternatively like Bio::Factory::TaxonFactoryI and
Bio::Factory::EMBLTaxonFactory etc (similar in concept to
Bio::Factory::LocationFactoryI and Bio::Factory::FTLocationFactory).

Or, quite radical in approach, we require the NCBI taxonomy database
(or any other implementation of Bio::DB::Taxonomy, e.g. could be
through BioSQL or what not) and otherwise disclaim responsibility for
correctly parsing the species.

Even though a TaxonIO or TaxonFactory approach looks like the 'right'
way to do it in terms of SW design principles, I can't help but wonder
why we really should spend much time on writing species line parsers
when NCBI has done the job for us already to put all species into a
compact (file-)database. If people really want to be 100% sure the
parser gets the species right, why not download the NCBI taxonomy
database, index it locally, and simply look-up by taxonID (which is in
the Organism line in EMBL and the feature table in GenBank). Although -
there could be a speed issue due to the recursive lookup - one would
probably want to cache each successful species resolution.

Sorry for not giving precise direction - ideally someone (you?) can
take charge and spearhead overhauling this.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org