[Bioperl-l] reading and writing GFF3

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 16 01:37:03 UTC 2006

There is stuff in bioperl for reading and writing GFF3.  There's
Bio::Tools::GFF.  There's Bio::FeatureIO::gff.  Are there more?  Which
is the 'best' one to use?

Neither of these is working very well for me.

My proximate use case is reading in a RepeatMasker report with
Bio::Tools::RepeatMasker, which spits out FeaturePair objects, then
writing those out to a GFF3 file.

Bio::Tools::GFF will take these things and write out something that
closely resembles GFF3, but with Target attributes that don't seem to
comply with Lincoln's GFF3 spec, since its coordinates are join()ed with
commas instead of spaces.  I'm attaching a little script that
illustrates this.

Bio::FeatureIO::gff refuses to take these FeaturePairs or either of the
features contained in them, throwing 'only Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated
objects are writeable'.  This seems a bit silly, since one of the whole
points of Bioperl is using polymorphism to make it easy to connect
things together.  I've attached a little script to illustrate this one too.

So my questions are:  what _should_ I be doing here?  Is Bio::Tools::GFF
deprecated?  Why does Bio::FeatureIO::gff only accept
Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated objects?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

--