[Bioperl-l] TFBS databases, Bio::Matrix::PSM suitable?

skirov skirov at utk.edu
Tue Aug 22 18:45:12 UTC 2006

>===== Original Message From Sendu Bala <bix at sendu.me.uk> =====
>>
>>> I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think that before a genbank parser
>>> can be released, all genbank files in existence must be supplied in the
>>> test suite to ensure it really does work on everyone's machine?
> >
>> Did I say that or you infer? What I said is the tests are prepared to make
>> sure the code work properly under specific environment (architecture,
>> compiler, etc.) However, developers must make sure their code does not get
>> choked up by the full data set.
>
>I would have thought this went without saying. Of course the original
>developer checks to see if his code works on the full data. The question
>is does every user of bioperl need to be able to test the full data? No.
>Until recently, Bio::DB::Taxonomy::flatfile wasn't tested at all. I
>didn't see you complain at my suggestion a subset of the taxonomy
>database be included in t/data for testing purposes.

Taxonomy is not a good example since it is available to anyone. Transfac is
not.

>> My point exactly- how bioperl contributors can fix a bug if they do not
have
>> access to the data? It means the user would have to submit a test set which
>> could be a license violation. I do not know to what extent Transfac would
>> pursue their rights and its implication, but I wouldn't like to try either.
>
>Look, the TFBS:: module seems to have survived without causing anguish
>and heartache. If /you/ don't have access to the data maybe you can't
>fix some possible future bug. But the nice thing about an open-source
>project like Bioperl is that maybe someone else /does/ have access, and
>/they/ can fix the bug.
I think TFBS is quite different project with different goals and scope. I do
not think it is fair to make a comparison between TFBS and Bioperl.
My concern is how many people are going to be able to take care of this code.