[Bioperl-l] PAML + Codeml problem

aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com
Tue Aug 15 13:42:38 UTC 2006

> > 'J' is an odd one; haven't seen that one used before.  Is there a
valid
> > three-letter code for that?
>
> It was new to me too.  Apparently it's used where I/L are
> indistinguishable in
> mass spectrometry.  The 3-letter code is Xle.  As of October 2006,
> GenBank are
> making it legal:
>
> http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/genbankb/2006-June/000241.html

for the curios, the appearance of J was first noted in IUPAC nomenclature
committees in 1999:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1046/j.1432-1327.1999.news99.x

and had to do with ambiguous NMR (not mass-spec) signals (which is why
Selenocysteine was awarded the U instead of the J).

But yes, regardless of why I and L can't be distinguished, J is the
ambiguity code for the pair.

-Aaron