[Bioperl-l] PAML + Codeml problem..

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 14 20:26:37 UTC 2006

You are correct, sir! (sorry, bad Ed McMahon impression)

I don't know of any translation program that recognizes TGA as
selenocysteine as you would have to run a concurrent search for a SECIS
element using RNA motif software.

Most of the time when I have seen 'U' present for a protein it is added
either b/c:

1) there is biochemical evidence to support the presence of selenocysteine,
2) the protein is homologous to one that is known to have 'U' (most common),

3) or the protein suspected to have one based on prior searches for SECIS
elements using various RNA motif search programs
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECIS_element).  RNAMotif comes to mind,
actually...

Chris