[Bioperl-l] SearchIO speed up

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Aug 14 14:58:52 UTC 2006

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> Don't complicate things more than they need to, please. The experimental
> branch should be solely for things for which you aren't sure whether
> they are going to work at all, and for API changes for which the
> consequences across the board may be significant and difficult to fully
> anticipate (e.g. the late-breaking and still haunting SeqFeatureI
> changes before 1.5.0 should have gone on an experimental branch first to
> see how they will behave).

Agree.

> It should never be a requirement to merge commits from the main trunk to
> an experimental branch (or commit twice for developers).

This wouldn't be done on a regular basis, but any time someone wants to
test if (eg. newly added) experimental code would work with the latest
'normal' code, an update of experimental could be done. Given that there
won't be much experimental code anyway, one would expect the
experimental branch to almost never be updated or committed to.

> Quite frankly the changes Sendu described for me wouldn't have warranted
> an experimental branch, they didn't sound like changing API signature or
> API behavior.

Gain-of-function only, but like I say, any bugs there have the potential
to do major (but perhaps not immediately obvious) damage to a lot of
different modules.