[Bioperl-l] SearchIO speed up

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Fri Aug 11 13:06:06 UTC 2006

Let me add my voice to the adulation here. IMO, the two main reasons
Bioperl hasn't achieved world domination are (a) it's so huge that it's
hard to find what you want, which the HOWTOs help with, and (b) it's so
darn slow. Speedup is most definitely a Good Thing, and I'm sure that
the vast majority of BLAST hits are ignored in the vast majority of
cases, where you're just looking for hits where some criterion meets a
certain threshold or something. It's unlikely that people want the full
alignment for all 100k or whatever hits. (This is why I just use blast
-m8: no parser required, and all you lose is the alignment.)

Anyway, in your spare time, maybe you do similar speedups for other
pieces of Bioperl? My personal favorite would be the GenBank/EMBL
parsers. The fungal genome ORF files I'm working with are only 20M or
so, but using Bioperl to work with them takes so much longer than with
non-Bioperl on the 6M FASTA files for other genomes. I have to imagine
it's mostly creating objects for the gazillion tags, 90% of which I
never peek at.

I know, you folks are busy, and I should be volunteering to do it
myself. But you can at least consider it a user request.

- Amir Karger
Research Computing
Bauer Center for Genomics Research
Harvard University