[Bioperl-l] Re: LocationI implementation details

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Thu Sep 8 20:05:09 EDT 2005

So long as the API definition stays on the interface, no particular
reason other than historical ones (as so often with Bioperl):
originally we didn't have Atomic.pm from which now all location impls
inherit (they do, right?) and the coordinate policy was introduced to
the API some time after inception, so the easiest way to add the method
and provide all classes with an implementation was to decorate the
interface.

In the (extremely unlikely) event that somebody has written a LocationI
implementation without inheriting from Atomic.pm and took advantage of
the interface implementing the coordinate policy, he/she'd be screwed
if you move it to Atomic.pm. So maybe just announce on the mailing list
that you'll do this and who needs to pay attention.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org