[Bioperl-l] bioperl development

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Wed Jan 26 12:56:11 EST 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Nathan Haigh wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't suggesting any sort of move, I was thinking more of
> just implementing similar tools that would allow developers to
> better organise and delegate tasks to other developers/users. This
> way, people who would like to help could view a list of tasks
> that they would like to take part in.

Sure - even if we did a similar thing to the Mozilla site with their
first bugs page http://www.mozilla.org/contribute/hacking/first-bugs/ &
http://www.mozilla.org/developer/  that would be good.  If we can deal
with a content management system which made updating these pages really
easy then it will be actually be used (and therefore useful).

If we could get content-management and RSS feeds to be easy to update
and edit that might make sense.  If we moved a majority of the web site
over to something like moveable-type.  This is what in fact the
biopython.org site is now done with and how the news.open-bio.org site
is run.

We used to have a wikiweb setup for bioperl but it was really buggy and
just didn't get used that much.  A new wiki would be nice I expect.
The hard part is always have TOO many places for documentation and
keeping it all organized.  We already have a hard enough time keeping
the modules organized and documented.

> I just thought that the example of sourceforge towards the development
> of open-source software by organising and coordinating effort
> from project admin/developers/users was a good one, and that certain
> aspects could be useful for coordinating efforts for bioperl.

These are good thoughts - as always it take some energy and time to put
into place a new system.  We really welcome anyone trying to make this
a better system.  At some level it is hard for the core developers to
be project managers, developers, and system administrators.  So any
help is really much appreciated.