[Bioperl-l] Something I am confused about and have not seenexplained in the docs:

Nathan Haigh nathanhaigh at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 03:58:06 EST 2005

The bioperl-core modules distributed as bioperl-1.4, bioperl-1.5 etc consist of the core modules and if additional functionality is
required, you can install one/more of the following bioperl packages: the run package (bioperl-run), Ext (bioperl-ext), microarray
(bioperl-microarray) etc. They all depend on the core bioperl package to be installed, but add additional functionality. They can be
seen at:
http://www.bioperl.org/Core/Latest/index.shtml

bioperl-live is the name given to the cutting-edge versions of all the bioperl files, available via CVS. Bioperl is open-source many
different people contribute to its development from just reporting bugs/errors to writing entirely new modules that extend bioperl's
functionality. As a result, the Concurrent Versions System (CVS) is used to track all the modifications of all the bioperl files, so
a developer can make a bugfix etc to a file and commit it to CVS. This results in the continual evolution of bioperl even after an
official release of bioperl; for example, v1.4 and 1.5 once released do not change - EVER) but updates to files are recorded using
CVS and would be included in future releases i.e. 1.5.1 or 1.6. Access to this cutting-edge code is available for those who want it
using CVS or by navigating the links at http://cvs.bioperl.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/?cvsroot=bioperl and selecting the
Download Tarball at the appropriate page.

Hope this helps
Nathan