[Bioperl-l] load_seqdatabase.pl running SLOW!

Barry Moore barry.moore at genetics.utah.edu
Tue Jan 25 18:15:52 EST 2005

Hilmar (or others)-

I've set up a biosql based database using PostgreSQL 7.2 on a PC with an
Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz processor, 800 MHz system Bus.  1 GB of RAM, and
Linux (2.2 kernel - Debian woody distro).  Onto that I am loading
~352,000 sequences from RefSeq complete rna collection using
load_seqdatabase.pl.  It's running kind of slow - loding on average
about 1 sequence every 2-5 seconds.  In the archives I've read your
comments to a previous question like this suggesting two fast
processors, a couple gigs of memory and 2-3 drives to really make things
fly and while my system isn't that good, it seems like I should be doing
better.  I got to experimenting on another (slower) system while waiting
for things to load, and found that running the same script to load the
same file goes about 3X faster on a 266MHz Intel processor with 192 Mb
RAM.  Same installation of PostgreSQL (both installed from deb package
with defaults), and same installation of Debian Linux (except that the
kernel on the older slow machine has been updated to 2.4)  Another
difference I noticed between the two is that the old 266 MHz machine is
using about 75% CPU resources for perl and about 25% for postmaster
whereas the faster 3 GHz machine (but slower running
load_seqdatabase.pl) is using 95% of it's CPU resources for postmaster
and about 3% for perl.  Both systems are using up most of their memory,
but little to no swap.  Could the kernel upgrade really be making the
difference?  Any thoughts?  As it's going now I can wait over a week for
all these sequences to load, or build the database on our dinosaur
server in a couple of days and dump it across to our sexy new 3 GHz
server.  Talk about bass ackwards!

Barry

--
Barry Moore