[Bioperl-l] ->add_tag_value()

Andrew Stewart astew at wam.umd.edu
Fri Aug 26 16:08:23 EDT 2005

Do many of you use bioperl-live as your primary (or exclusive) BioPerl
distribution, or do you keep a stable version as well?

I'd like to use bioperl-live for instances such as this (see message
history), but not necessarily for when I'm developing scripts that are
going to be used by others in my lab who do not necessarily have
bioperl-live installed.

What I'm thinking is that I should maybe install a copy of bioperl-live
somewhere in my personal space, and then 'use' it in certain scripts
when needed.  I just have a few questions (these are probably more
'perl' questions than 'bio-perl' questions)...

1. Once I obtain bioperl-live via 'cvs -d :pserver etc...', do I need to
actually go through the install routine or can I just access the modules
from where they are downloaded?

and

2. Would I then place code at the header of my script such as...

use lib "/path/to/bioperl-live";
use MODULE;

and the updated module will (temporarily) override the other bioperl
modules in my @INC?

I tried this, actually, without any noticable change in my previous problem
(_print_GenBank... still prints the feature tabs as
/tab="Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue=HASH(0x87f0914)" instead of
/tab="value"), but I don't know for certain if perl was using the
modules from my bioperl-live installation or the older ones.

-Andrew Stewart